According to the Alzheimer’s Association Facts & Figures 2022
- Every 65 Seconds someone in the United States develops Alzheimer’s.
- More than 16 million Americans provide unpaid care for people with Alzheimer’s or another dementia.
- Caregivers provided an estimated 18.6 billion hours of care valued at over 244 billion dollars.
- In 2022, Alzheimer’s and other dementias will cost the nation 321 billion dollars. By 2050, these costs could raise as high as 1.1 trillion.
- 50% of primary care physicians believe the medical profession is not ready for the growing number of people with Alzheimer’s or other dementias.
- Two out of three women in America have Alzheimer’s.
- As compared to older Whites, older Blacks are about twice as likely to have Alzheimer’s and Hispanics are about one and one half times as likely.
- One in three seniors dies with Alzheimer’s or another dementia. It kills more than breast cancer and prostate cancer combined.
- As I write this line to you, the disease cannot be prevented, cured, or slowed.